Ronstan Shackle Key -clearly the most universally used throughout the sailing community and without doubt the most lost or misplaced too! It is a Multi-purpose tool to suit coined head shackle pins and slotted pins rapidly and so allowing for the quick release of sails or rigging under tension. Features sockets for 1/16" and 1/4" plain and nylock nuts, screwdriver, also ideal for tightening small drain plugs, safety red plastic grip, 316 stainless toolings, space for a lanyard or bit of old string (use it or lose it).
A shackle key is a tool used to open and close a slotted pin and used to tighten and loosen a coin end (flattened end) pin.
To use a shackle key, simply insert the key into the slot of the shackle pin and then turn the key to open or close the shackle.
Shackle keys are commonly used in sailing to open and close the shackles that are used to attach sails to booms, halyards to mastheads, and rigging to deck fittings. Shackle keys are also used to open and close the shackles that are used to secure anchors and chains.
Here are some tips for using shackle keys in sailing:
- Make sure that the shackle key is the correct size for the shackle. The key should be large enough to fit snugly into the slot of the shackle pin, but not so large that it is loose.
- Inspect the shackle key regularly for signs of wear or damage. Replace any damaged shackle keys immediately.
- Do not overtighten the shackle, as this can damage the shackle or the objects that it is connecting.
- If you are using a shackle key to open a shackle that is under load, be careful not to let the shackle fly open.
Shackle keys are a simple but essential tool for sailing. By using a shackle key, you can easily open and close the shackles that are used to secure your sails, rigging, and other equipment.
Here are some additional tips for using shackle keys in sailing:
- If the shackle is difficult to open, try using a lubricant on the shackle pin.
- If you are using a shackle key to open a shackle that is high up, use a safety lanyard to prevent the shackle key from falling.
- Be careful not to over-tighten the shackle, as this can damage the shackle or the objects that it is connecting.
Shackle keys are a valuable addition to any sailor's toolbox. By following these tips, you can use a shackle key safely and effectively. Always add it to your Christmas list if you are the misplaced item kinda sailor....